Opinion:

The one area of RPG we have no control over is also one of the things that
is most frustrating; specifically the legacy-laden syntax. Yes yes, RPG is
awesomely stable and integrated, and yes, it has fairly simple modularity.
But it has held on to too many legacy things in its latest 100% freeform
(the chance they had to be rid of some of the legacy stuff was not taken
unfortunately).

Steve Sibley's(n1) recent declaration of IBM's continued commitment to ILE
compilers is good to know, but it is important to realize what's being
celebrated as historical evidence of continued success and support; namely
RPG OA and 100% freeform. RPG OA was too little too late to make the
difference necessary for IBM i customers to adequately compete. And I
already commented on 100% freeform above. In short, IBM is keeping RPG
alive, but they've made no moves to show they intend for it to thrive.

n1 - http://krengel.tech/steve-sibley-2017

The question I ask myself is if I would use RPG for a brand new
application. I always answer "no" based on my above opinions and also the
significantly smaller community.

Of much more intrigue are things like iSeriesPython (if somebody wanted to
stick with the ILE environment yet have a language with a better syntax and
the ability to pull from a large community repository).

Again, just my opinion.

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces