On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On final note, there's one big thing I haven't yet resolved with Orion and
that is how it does source file tabs. You can have multiple files open but
they open up in separate ~browser~ tabs (vs. tabs within the same browser
window).

The terminology there was a little confusing... the tabs within the
same browser *window* ARE the browser tabs. You described it more
clearly in another post (to the RDi list):

And there's one usability issue I have with how [Orion] does
tabs for different source members (one each, and it uses the
browser's tabs vs. having tabs created via HTML within a single
browser tab).

Is there a functional deficiency regarding that behavior? For example,
is Orion centrally aware of all of the various browser tabs that
belong to it, so that it can manage a "project" consisting of multiple
documents? If it does not have that awareness, then for sure it's a
legitimate deficiency. But if it does, then I would say it's just
leveraging the machinery already provided by the browser, and it's up
to the user to adapt or decide Orion isn't the tool for them.

Personally, I like the idea of NOT having another nested set of tabs.
I have already trained myself to use the browser's shortcut keys to
pick among its tabs. I don't want the visual clutter and more keys to
learn/remember. (I actually set up hotkeys so that I could use my
browser tab-switching keys to choose the tabs in my standalone
programming editor.)

but it just doesn't work for my brain because it's such a departure from
normal flow for me (old habits die hard?).

Old habits do die hard, but they do die eventually, if you let them.
In my case, nothing sounds weird so far because I don't currently use
*any* IDE. I don't really have any old habits here.

John Y.