(For example, the ipm command could probably be ported, if not copied
verbatim, to other IBM i boxes, if you're willing to have ipm.litmis.com
serve as the master repository for the whole midrange community, not just
Litmis Spaces.)

A lot of this conversation gets back to what Kevin Adler brought up awhile
back with the Open Build Service (OBS): https://build.opensuse.org The
binaries wouldn't necessarily have to be hosted by us (though we'd probably
do it for our own purposes).

---Idea for somebody that wants to test the waters with OBS---
Litmis Spaces is an IBM i in the cloud with ssh access via key auth. I
don't have full knowledge of how OBS does builds, but I am guessing for
unsupported OSes they'd need a destination machine to run builds. Access to
that machine would most likely happen through ssh. A Litmis Space could be
used to automate those builds.

A good first step would be to find a small utility to run through the
process with OBS. I believe at the last COMMON Opensource Forum Kevin
Adler compiled the nano editor on PASE (live demo, brave man). That might
be a good place to start.

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 2:00 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>