Going back to what Larry said, I think IBM did the best with the situation
they had at the time. Guessing Tim Rowe could have said "would you like
new technology ~now~ or wait for a significant process change to be
approved, which involves lawyers?" I know I'd rather have new stuff sooner
than later. This isn't letting IBM off the hook for eventually delivering
something better, but this is definitely a hole we can document ourselves
out of.

FWIW, the best 5733OPS install guide I've come across is on Club Seiden:
http://club.alanseiden.com/learninghall/article/5733-ops-installation-guide/

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i