Lukas,

At 1/15/08 09:04 AM, you wrote:
Same on IBM's hardware side, but their Software support ist just a
group of lunatics with no real clue. I've written a few posts to
midrange-l regarding a lot of issues i had when trying to get proper
print output from the System i (i.E. modern, graphical, overlays, color).

IBM's software support, at least in US (you may have had completely different experiences in Europe), overall is excellent.

IBM doesn't care about that, and they're not trying to fix the
problems the platform has. Microsoft, however, has always been
responsive about fixing problems, and they're constantly improving
their OS.

The impression that I get is that IBM puts in the features that *they* want, the ones that might have high visibility with the big business crowd, which is not necessarily what *we* want. There are a few notable exceptions, such as the compiler group and the WDSC group that make appearances on these lists and seem to take our real world requirements seriously.

If IBM really took us and the market seriously, we would have gotten some basic features a LONG time ago, such as:

- A decent native email server system.
- An easy way to print and view graphics - all the industry standard formats without jumping through hoops and without ridiculous restrictions or costly add-ons.
- A GUI that is easy to program and maintain, again without costly add-ons.

i5/OS is 10+ YEARS behind the industry in these and several other areas. I think that it's disgraceful. This box should and COULD be in very high demand, but quite a few of the basic "services" that are on low end boxes just aren't there.

I really hope that IBM gets its act together before they need to decide that it's not profitable enough to support a niche OS.

i5/OS has many things that work really well compared to other
platforms. Inplace upgrades of Windows machines are a nightmare. On
i5/OS, they're completely automated and you just walk back at a
running System. Job control is also much easier.

Add to that list the DB and security integration, the security model, support for numerous file systems, hardware reliability, memory management, job control, etc. and you have a winner - in the back-end piece. But that's not enough to get managers to even look at it as a new customer. The front end must sizzle and frankly it doesn't - without jumping through hoops. If you want any proof of that, just look at any software vendor that provides a decent size package. How many include the GUI version of their product for free? They don't / can't, because it costs them so much more to develop and support the GUI, almost as if it was a separate product. How many Windows products do you know that the base product is text only and they charge extra for the GUI? I think that they'd be laughed out of town if they did that!

Adding insult to injury, the system configurations often need to be bumped up if a GUI is part of the plan. None of this is competitive and software vendors are having a tough time competing when the prettier system is demo'ed next to a midrange system.

But all that doesn't help if you need a 10k software package just to
print invoices with a color logo :)

Exactly!!

-mark