  From: Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  To: Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
  Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:39 AM
  Subject: +++++> RE: Microsoft targets IBM midrange server customers

  Actually there were a whole bunch of quotes in the article....I just about
  popped a vein......

  Just so everyone knows we went through a SAP feasibility study here just
  recently...thankfully it has been delayed because we can't afford
  it........

  1.)  Our parent company mandated Windows servers and SQL server as the
  standard - they call it a business requirement (I still laugh over that
  crap....)

  2.)  I now know that the iSeries makes a phenomenal SAP server - anyone
  that suggest otherwise does not know what they are talking about....

  3.)  We priced a large hardware configuration - iSeries was slightly more
  expensive than an xSeries implementation - less than 2% (remember what you
  get with your hardware.........ahem.....just a database.....).

  4.)  We priced a hardware, maintenance, software, and it's maintenance.
  The iSeries was slightly less expensive.....approximately 5%.

  5.)  When we included personnel - the iSeries was cheaper by over $750,000
  per year.  That's right, significantly cheaper......

  so..............

  iSeries can't run SAP - bull
  iSeries can't run SAP well - bull
  iSeries isn't strategic to SAP - bull
  iSeries isn't growing with SAP - bull (actually by % it is the fastest
  growing platform)

  back to the gist of the MS comments in the article....

  iSeries hardware is more expensive - sometimes yes, sometimes no - in our
  case it really wasn't....
  iSeries is more expensive - bull - in our case it was by far the most
  affordable platform to run......
  Customers buy Wintel platforms to save money - sometimes yes and sometime
  no.....in our case it would have cost us a small fortune........

               Chuck Lewis
               <clewis@xxxxxxxxx
               t>                                                         To
                                         Non-Technical Discussion about the
               12/15/2004 11:23          AS400 / iSeries
               AM                        <midrange-nontech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                          cc

                 Non-Technical           RE: Microsoft targets IBM midrange
               Discussion about          server customers
                  the AS400 /
                    iSeries
               <midrange-nontech
                @midrange.com>

  And quote of the century:

  "Windows is fine. It's not a software issue,"

  Chuck

  Hmmmm, I wonder if there will be any response from

  Microsoft targets IBM midrange server customers - Yahoo! UK & Ireland News

  http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041214/152/f8j01.html

  at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-nontech.