Well -
It's Friday afternoon again...thank <whatever your greater power may be> (got
to be politically correct)

What is the stupidest thing that you have done as a
programmer/operator/consultant?  At least, that you will admit to?

Since I started this thread, I'll go first:

In 1990, I was working at a small steel mill in East Texas (with 5 AS/400
systems).

In the main computer room, they did NOT have a desk for the system console.
Instead, the console was located on TOP of the 9309 rack.  To reach it, they
had a small step (like you would use in your kitchen) to stand on so you could
reach the keyboard.  One day, while working at the console, I noticed that the
response time seemed to be very slow.

THEN, I realized that it was locked up.  I stepped back from the system, pulled
back the step, looked down, and saw that I had turned OFF one of the disk
drives by hitting the switch with my shoe.  The top of the step was exactly
even with the switch.

They put a desk in the computer room THAT afternoon, IIRC.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935