What occurs to me is that if it is a "legitimate message", then the real
sender of this message would be more apparent (was heshe?) the wording would
be more clear, and the thrust should be more professional.

Is there a way to get Symantec to own up to it or disown it without much
trouble? If they disown it, then it is either Spam, or a message sent out by
some new kind of virus having lots of fun, or something done by some
employee or exec fraudulently. If "legitimate", it seems heavy in the
self-advertising--a brief mention will do ("This message sent by..").

On that subject, especially if the genuine AV sent it, I am getting a little
fed up with some of the tactics that some of the formerly heavy Net players
are using to push their wares. I used register.com to do up a new domain
name, and I caught something ONLY by CAREFULLY READING their
"you-are-registered-confirmed" e-mail.

Down 2/3 into the message was a "NOTE:" that told me they had AUTOMATICALLY
signed us up for a name-safety program (or some such misnomer), where close
to the expiration date for the registration they would AUTOMATICALLY deduct
the ongoing fee from the number, sending out an informative e-mail at the
time. Sheesh! __AND to de-register, click on the URL, go through a few
screens, including "Are you sure?" and "Are you REALLY REALLY sure".

(Isn't there an offer somewhere for this where you actually OWN the domain
name, and you're not beholden to these folks?)

-- Alan