See below.

At 11:45 AM 9/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
Has anyone received the following mass mailing (attached in entirety below)?
This all but convinces me that the security companies, and Symantec in
particular, are simply fearmongers.  This mail does nobody any good except
Synmantec.
I am not so sure it is a mass mailing and not a response from AV from
detecting a virus in an Email. It looks like an virus was sent out and
worded to fool the normal computer user into installing it. And then AV
software detects it when it tries to send itself to another user with AV
and that AV software tries to let the sender know they have a virus. But
like the email says it takes any old address, because people who write
viruses found out if the AV warns the real send they will shut the computer
down and get rid of the virus (at least I hope they would). And having the
AV send the message itself is not such a bad ideal with always on
connections. And if I wrote the AV I might put a plug in for my own
software to a user I think may of sent a virus.

I received a message (below) from joepluta@plutabrothers.com with a file
2.30.26.zip attached.  Don't know if this came from you, but this type of
e-mail and file usually contains a virus.  If you don't know that your
computer has been sending this message, then you have a problem.
If I had got an email with a virus I would want to warn the sender that
they sent me a virus.

W32.Klez.gen@mm is a mass-mailing worm that searches the Windows address
book for email addresses and sends messages to all recipients that it finds.
The worm uses its own SMTP engine to send the messages. The worm will select
an address in the address book and use that as the sender, instead of the
actual sending computer, which makes detection that much harder.
It says it may not of come from you, but the best dumb software can do is
reply to who it thinks sent it. And having the AV send the notice could let
the use know now while they are using their computer. I leave my system on
almost all of the time and the AV could send the notice hours before I would.

This threat is detected by the latest Virus Definitions.All computer users
should employ safe computing practices, including:
       * Keeping your Virus Definitions updated.
       * Installing Norton AntiVirus program updates, when available.
       * Deleting suspicious looking emails.
A plug for the software that detected the sent email, lets face it who
would not put a plug in for their software. And the last option is if you
are not going to get AV here is the best you can do, delete suspicious
looking emails

You may also scan your PC for threats now, by using the free online Symantec
Security Check.

Hope you're not infected, because dealing with a computer virus is no fun!
But, in case you are and you weren't aware, I'm sending this to you.  Here
is the original message:
It should say who sent it to you.

In a message dated 8/31/2002 10:03:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,