In the UK you can get phone service from the cable TV company.  Seems to
work fine, but again - when a line is down the normal phone company is
much quicker in responding and repairing it than the cable TV company is
(NTL I believe was what my grandmother had, and I experienced that first
hand, even the difficulty of trying to call their support number at 11pm
on a Saturday night from a phone box down the street).  The cable
companies still to have the attitude "oh too bad, someone can't watch
their favourite TV show tonight, we'll fix it during regular business
hours tomorrow, or after the weekend", whereas phone companies have more
of a "the telephone is a lifeline for many people (especially elderly
people, my grandmother had an emergency pendant connected via phone to a
24 hour helpline service), and a way to call emergency services, we'll
send someone out at 3am in the morning to fix it if that's what's
required" atitude.

...Neil

Brad Jensen <brad@elstore.com>
Sent by: midrange-nontech-admin@midrange.com