All,

I have also bought and installed XP on my personal laptop, like many others
I got several hundred dollars of free hardware with my purchase. Several
things are much nicer, others I don't like.

Likes:
1. Fast
2. Small Footprint (right after installation) with no other apps running in
the background
3. No other drivers needed after install
4. Can switch domains easily - use alone, log on to network at work, log
onto network at home.
5. Compatibility for older games (have not tested this out yet)

Dislikes:
1. The default preschool interface
2. Activation (although M$ has changed it enough that it shouldn't be a huge
problem for me)
3. Built in CD burning software is horrid

>>> Other notes inline  <<<

  Although I agree w/ the sentiment, as I understand it (on a technical
level), XP will allow up to 6 hardware changes within several months (I
don't recall the exact number.)

>>> 6 hardware changes in 180 days. The NIC being the most important one not
to change. So if you replace MoBo, processor, video card, and hard drive,
but keep your NIC, you should be fine.

Everything I've read indicates that if Win98SE is working well for you, you
have no compelling reason to upgrade to XP.  98SE is where I'll be for a
long time.  Just to clarify my position, the main problem I have with XP is
the hardware registration and the "phone home" crap.  I happen to fiddle
with my hardware quite a bit, and I refuse to accept that I have to call
anyone to "please let me have my OS back, I added a new hard drive, and
changed the video card."  That is PURE BS!

>>> According to TechTV (if you believe them) (Also note that this is
explained in end user terms):
If you have Windows 95, don't bother most likely your hardware can't support
it.
If you have Windows 98 or SE, most likely you can't support XP.
If you have Windows ME (or Windows CA (crash a lot) ;-) ), an upgrade would
be worthwhile.
If you have Windows NT, it is worth the upgrade because of all the new
support for hardware and software.
If you have Windows 2000, only upgrade if you need the additional software
support or the other new features, or you like bleeding edge technology.

>>> See note above about the activation

Maybe I should set up a small bonfire and videotape the sacrifice of an
unopened XP package.  And post that video on a web site somewhere.  I
understand that CD-ROMs burn with brilliant colors.

>>> What is even neater is to pop the disk in the microwave for 2 or 3
seconds. Watch the sparks fly and see the pretty pattern when it is "done".
;-)

But the NT version of stuff like Norton AV and EZCD won't run under XP.
That's where I see the collusion.

>>> According to M$ website, NAV 2002 works under XP. I have not had a
chance to install EZCD to see if it works.

I think I have most of the stuff answered. Any more questions???

Mike "bleeding edge geek" Wills