>>XP is better than 3.1, 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, NT 4.  I know,
>>not saying much.  It's also prettier than Win2k.  :-)
>Everything I've read indicates that if Win98SE is working well for you,
>you have no compelling reason to upgrade to XP.  98SE is where I'll be
>for a long time.  Just to clarify my position, the main problem I have
>with XP is the hardware registration and the "phone home" crap.  I
>happen to fiddle with my hardware quite a bit, and I refuse to accept
>that I have to call anyone to "please let me have my OS back, I added a
>new hard drive, and changed the video card."  That is PURE BS!

Agreed on the BS part but I believe 98/98SE users report an awful lot of
problems with Code/400, for example.  I know most of my Code problems went
away when I replaced 98SE with Win2k at work.  WinXP has worked with Code
just fine so far, and CAE as well.

My home system has had everything but the case & 10/100 nic replaced or
added on several occasions.  It was once a PII 233 and is now a PIII 866.  I
expect to have issues with M$ on this over time and will give them
unmitigated sh!t about it when the opportunity arises.  But I'm not willing
to suffer more BSOD's as the alternative.

>>What peeves me is needing a new version of Norton AntiVirus,
>>Adaptec EZ CD Creator, etc because the crippled function provided
>>in XP isn't compatible (or, more likely, collusion with the utility
>>software makers to force otherwise unnecessary upgrades).
>I dunno.  Personally, I think this is ALL MicroShaft's doing.  The OS
>*is*, after all, a significant departure from the DOS underpinnings of
>all Win9x OS's.

But the NT version of stuff like Norton AV and EZCD won't run under XP.
That's where I see the collusion.