This midrange-nontech list was designed for such clutter...

I like to tell my folks that salaried individuals are paid by the year.  I
personally work 8+ hour days Monday - Friday, and only work weekends when a
project calls for it, or when I fall behind.  For me the "+" can run an
additional 2-4 hours per night, just getting caught up on e-mail.  The DBA's
and Sys Admins who report to me have the same 8+ hour days, plus more
"unscheduled" weekend work.  Our AS/400 admin's only weekend work is the
occasional OS upgrade or cum PTF package.  You might be surprised that the
Unix and Oracle folks have quite a bit more weekend work.  Usually they're
babysitting things that they haven't yet been able to fully automate,
performing unanticipated maintenance, or rebuilding disk and database
structures.  There is no compensation for extra hours or overtime.  We are,
however, somewhat loose with comp time.  And no one is strictly monitoring
those 8+ hours M-F.

It sounds like you're in a different boat than most of us.  You're being
told that you have a quantifiable responsibility beyond your normal hours.
I guess it would be like telling my folks that there would be shift work to
monitor our polling system four hours every evening, that they would each be
scheduled for 2 days a week, that the time would be in addition to their
normal 40 hour schedule, and that there would be no additional compensation.
I think if I pulled that here my folks would be able to go to our
HR-Compensation department and get my hands slapped.  I don't think I'd be
allowed to formally increase the job responsibilities without re-evaluating
the position.

I knew a guy who worked at a shop where "all managers are expected to work
8:00 AM - Noon on Saturdays".  Some PHM would make random appearances --
sometimes at 8:00, 11:00, or possibly all day to see who was there.  It was
Byzantine -- If the senior manager showed up at 8:30 AM he might drop by
again before Noon to see who figured it was safe to leave.  My friend made a
point of never doing company work on Saturdays.  He would bring in his
bills, his checkbook, his taxes, his résumé, but never did anything for
them.  You may be in the same situation.  Discussing the additional work
requirements with HR would have definitely been a bad career move.

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation