Here is a new discussion list that may be of interest to some here.

Those of us who are concerned about the volumes of youth who turn to crime,
to hate, who do not get a good education, might find an outlet here in what
can we do about that.

From: "W. Stapela" <w.stapela@chello.nl>
To: "ecommerce-discussion" <ecommerce-discuss@year2000.com>
Subject: [ecommerce-discuss] Technology against poverty
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:26:30 +0200

As a recipient of and participant in this discussion forum, it occurs to
me that it contains many technology experts. I have started a yahoo
discussion list called "technologyalleviatespoverty", quite a mouthful,
but also quite a subject.
I post below the text of an initial message; those of you who are
interested in the subject matter and wish to contribute, please feel
free.
Regards,
Werner Stapela

      Post message: technologyalleviatespoverty@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe:  technologyalleviatespoverty-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Unsubscribe:

BELOW THE INITIAL MESSAGE:

To those who have now joined the group, let me as the moderator give
you some brief background and first thoughts.
The group was born as a result of a number of factors, being:
-my own thoughts and ideas, which have long held that technology
could play a large part in alleviating poverty, by improving
education methods and distribution, offering access to markets,
improving infrastructure etc.
-The horrendous events on 11th Sept, which, after some debate with
family and friends, have prompted me to do something concrete with
these vague thought in the hope that we may, as a group, achieve
concrete results in the end, after discussion and debate initially.
-E mail correspondence with various parties on the subject, most
notably Peter de Jager (of Y2K and change management fame), and his
message to me that he had no intention of starting a discussion group
of this kind, but would offer his assistance if I would.
-a fundamental belief that we can (and should) fight terrorism all we
wish, however if we do not tackle some of the root causes of
discontent, it's a never ending journey. I happen to believe that
poverty and lack of education form a large part of those root causes.

It is in the light of the above that I ask you not only to contribute
your thoughts and participate in debate, but that you also recommend
this list to all your acquaintances who you know are interested in
the subject matter.

Your intrepid modetator, Werner.