http://www.ndu.edu/ndu/library/ejrnl_military.html

Here are links to approx 200 different military full text e-journals (mainly
USA) - I did not try to count them ... if you print the web page it is 19
pages of 8 1/2 by 11 ... there is every branch of military, every type of
interest, history such as US Civil War, defense strategies, international
security thinking, NATO review, research.  Some of this cannot be accessed
unless your e-mail address is .mil

Thanks to Merle Scott Robinson for passing this along

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/af.html
CIA -- The World Factbook 2000 -- Afghanistan

Then from the CIA encyclopaedia on Afghanistan you can get to their facts on
other nations

www.stratfor.com

Placing international news in perspective from a military & other
intelligence perspective behind the headlines ... projecting for example what
the economic effects might be if the Ozone hole gets much larger, the
interrelationship between national economy, infrastructure, national defense,
challenges of the new war we have found ourselves in - we did not start it,
but we will finish it, and how do we define victory

Latest new stories on this web site include prospects for an alliance between
USA & Iran in opposition to the Taliban, impact of increased US Defense
Spending on US Economy, aftershocks of Sept 11 on US financial &
transportation industries, and what have the terrorists learned from this
about the usefulness of other targets like oil refineries, nuclear power
plants, flood control, etc.?  It depends on whether their goal is terror of
striking high population targets like sports stadiums & universities, or
whether they seek to cripple US economy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/world/search/list/index.html
Washington Post - Pick a Nation - see recent articles about them

http://www.economist.com/countries
Economist (in Britain) - Pick a country - get a briefing about that nation &
see recent news articles from within that nation so you get the flavor of
what is important to them

http://www.wheretodoresearch.com/news/foreign_newspapers.htm
Top 40+ English-language Foreign Daily Newspapers in 14 nations
I mentioned this in an earlier post but I do not remember now on which lists

http://www.wheretodoresearch.com/news/US_Newspapers.htm
Top 100 Newspaper web sites in the USA

I got to the above two via links from us news . com

http://www.pewinternet.org
The parent Teacher Life Project did a recent analysis of the kinds of
research tools available to students in America ... where can they go to get
facts & help with homework & how good is this stuff

www.lawscope.com
Understanding legal implications of recent news stories & recent legislative
developments

Keep sending those links to me & the lsits I am on.
I will continue to share them.

And for the individual who said that Al used to work BPCS 23 hours a day
(except when commuting work vs. home), and the one who asked how Al finds so
much time for this ... hey guys, I am doing my 40 hours fair share at the
office (if used to be 55 hours a week & will be again in the future) but I do
not have the stomache for any of the other ordinary stuff, except
replenishing food or what breaks donw & needs fixing, until I am straight in
my head how this crisis should be resolved & if I have done my duty or done
doing my duty.

I have not explored all these links, nor do I plan to.
I am occasionally visiting the foreign press in English to correlate what I
am seeing on the US TV & US news media & various things people tell me at the
office that they heard some place.
I may renew subscription to one of the world press digests ... there are
several publications that excerpt from a spectrum of foreign press, but when
our focus has moved to some other nuance, we get the full details of what
they were saying a month ago.  I think the best of that lot is World & I
Magazine