Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 05:58:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Bob Artner at TechRepublic.com"
<Online#1.3185.0b-no1qsHwAMZrS.1@newsletters.online.com>
To: macwheel99@aol.com
Subject: Let's share what we've learned about managing through this crisis

TechRepublic: www.techrepublic.com

Presents your
ARTNER'S LAWS OF TECHNICAL MANAGEMENT TECHMAIL

<-----------------Advertisement------------>

ChannelOnline Live Webcast

CNET ChannelOnline invites IT resellers to join us for our live
Webcast on September 27th at 1:00pm EDT.
During this special 30-minute session, we will demonstrate how
ChannelOnline's quoting and procurement tools can help you
stay ahead of the competition. See how you can:

>> Procure products with greater efficiency
>> Organize and prioritize your customer pipeline
>> Forecast your revenues with greater accuracy
>> Communicate more effectively with your customer base
>> Stay focused on your higher margin business opportunities

Register for the webcast today at:
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=f2-OZfTQUwzReO5O_ppUzMZi5n8">http://click.online.com/Click?q=f2-OZfTQUwzReO5O_ppUzMZi5n8</A>

<------------------------------------------->

This week's Artner's Law

LET'S SHARE WHAT WE'VE LEARNED ABOUT MANAGING THROUGH THIS CRISIS
I've been managing people for more than 20 years. During that time,
I've had to deal with the normal things that IT managers face every day.
While it's never routine, after so many years, your experience gives
you a certain amount of confidence about your ability to meet new
challenges.

And then one morning you find yourself in the company kitchen, watching
TV with your colleagues as the World Trade Center implodes.

Nothing in my background prepared me for this most delicate of
management problems: how to be sensitive to the needs of your staff
during such a crisis, while making sure that work gets done.

I invite each of you to post comments to this column, recounting what
you've done over the past week. My hope is that by sharing information,
we can learn from our successes and mistakes, and help each other be
better managers.
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=07-HqXzI5rrtThxh1NNRvfjrvzx">http://click.online.com/Click?q=07-HqXzI5rrtThxh1NNRvfjrvzx</A>

DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE AND WIN RENOWN
As a technical manager, how have you coped with this crisis? Have you
been able to keep your team focused? If so, how are you doing it?

Each week, the person who provides the best feedback will win a free
TechRepublic coffee mug. You'll find out who made the best point in an
upcoming TechMail.

ANNOUNCING THIS WEEK'S WINNER
In a recent Artner's Law, we discussed how you can prepare for
performance evaluations without creating extra work. TechRepublic
member Christine, who works for CSI in Charleston, SC, won for posting
this comment:

"Another great tool that I've used is to get employees to track their
own progress. For example, we require a certain number of training
hours for each employee. It's up to them to document that training and
send me a report prior to the review. They also document the projects
they've worked on and any new skills that they learned as a result."

Bob Artner is vice president for content development at TechRepublic.

EDITOR'S NOTE

Due to our recent merger with CNET Networks, the From field within your
TechMail selection(s) has changed. For those of you who have created
automatic filtering rules, please note that those rules will no longer
apply.

To create a rule in Outlook that will allow you to divert the different
TechMails messages to a specific folder, please follow these steps:

1. Create a folder in Outlook for your future TechMails.

2. Go to Tools | Rules Wizard and click New.

3. Select Check Messages When They Arrive and click Next.

4. Check the box next to With Specific Words In The Sender's Address.

5. Click on the Specific Words link and type newsletters in the
resulting dialog box.

6. Click OK and then click Next.

7. Select what you want to do with the message.

8. Click on the Specified link.

9. Select the folder you created for future TechMails and click OK.

10. Click Next two times.

11. Click Finish and then click OK, and you've done it!

Back by popular demand

DEVELOPING A FLAWLESS APPROACH TO PROBLEM MANAGEMENT
Murphy's Law is certain to come into play when IT and e-business
collide. According to this report from Gartner, IT managers can
mitigate Murphy by developing a problem management system.
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=1c-csaiIFr3AmO4glKB5YJ2a2O6">http://click.online.com/Click?q=1c-csaiIFr3AmO4glKB5YJ2a2O6</A>

YOU NEED TO KNOW JUST ONE THING
It's not what you do but the people you work with who make a good job a
great one, says TechRepublic columnist Nick Corcodilos. His advice:
Avoid working with jerks and surround yourself with good people who
will help you succeed.
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=31-V_8RIjMok0pI7V9HW-3mqVS6">http://click.online.com/Click?q=31-V_8RIjMok0pI7V9HW-3mqVS6</A>

Today @ TechRepublic

GET ORGANIZED: TAKE ADVANTAGE OF VB CUSTOM COLLECTIONS
Developers often need places to stash their objects. Lamont Adams
explains how to create and use custom collection classes in VB and
points out some situations when they're useful.
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=5b-5LHwIBKuZXyAbmOV7o3ADSfc">http://click.online.com/Click?q=5b-5LHwIBKuZXyAbmOV7o3ADSfc</A>

HELP EMPLOYEES OVERCOME FEAR OF TECHNOLOGY THROUGH TECH FAIRS
To get the most benefit from new technologies, workers need to have the
right attitude. "Tech fairs" show employees how they can use technology
in their private lives, which can help them feel more comfortable with
technology in the workplace.
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=85-2GGoQ7K7eS5iViwAmgw1VbaO">http://click.online.com/Click?q=85-2GGoQ7K7eS5iViwAmgw1VbaO</A>

USE OUR MACRO TO STOP MS PROJECT'S DAY-SPAN FUNCTION
If you've been frustrated by Microsoft Project's tendency to split some
project tasks into the next day, we have a macro that can stop that
from happening. We'll show you how.
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=ee-ZbkWQwDhxyCijsHp8v5UuLNz">http://click.online.com/Click?q=ee-ZbkWQwDhxyCijsHp8v5UuLNz</A>

DEPLOYING LINUX ON YOUR ENTERPRISE NETWORK? LET OUR SERIES ON LINUX
SERVERS HELP
To help you keep up with new technologies, TechRepublic offers our
special series on Linux Servers. Our coverage will outline key issues
from cost savings to deployment, management, and support issues. We
invite you to read the articles in the series. You'll be glad you did!
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=18-WhZzI98rpXvwwb-SbtHeR1bX">http://click.online.com/Click?q=18-WhZzI98rpXvwwb-SbtHeR1bX</A>

TechRepublic TechMails may contain links to sites on the Internet which
are owned and operated by third parties. TechRepublic, Inc. is not
responsible for the content of any such third-party site.

To update your TechMails selections:
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=2d-Ox6yIbKyNPDkHcYxI4JeV7hH">http://click.online.com/Click?q=2d-Ox6yIbKyNPDkHcYxI4JeV7hH</A>

To unsubscribe from this mailing list reply to this message with
"unsubscribe 7188" in the subject or click here:
<A
HREF="http://click.online.com/Click?q=42-rFpczrKGJ-xkj3SMMBFXlnb0Il0GfRRR">http://click.online.com/Click?q=42-rFpczrKGJ-xkj3SMMBFXlnb0Il0GfRRR</A>.

Questions or comments:
mailto:ecomments@techrepublic.com?subject=Artner's%20Law

Copyright 1999-2001 TechRepublic, Inc. All rights reserved.