--- In TYR@y..., "Ken Garen" <kengaren@e...> wrote:
This was forwarded to me by someone who lives in NJ and is heavily
involved in bringing up the Red Cross IT network.

Ken

Subject: ATML past 5 days

It's difficult to describe the last 5 days.  My entire family, like so
many other American families, has been shaken by the tragedy.  Living
in
NY it has been especially difficult. Here's just a few of the ways
that
this tragedy has hit close to home;

*       Across the street from where I live, the homeowner (whom I
don't
know - we moved here August 1st) was on the 69th floor of one of the
WTC
buildings.  Thankfully he escaped.

*       3 firefighters from Warwick are missing.

*       The father of one of my daughters classmates was missing
initially feared killed.  Thankfully he escaped from one of WTC
towers.

*       A woman from Warwick was on the flight that crashed in PA.
Here's an account of her heroic actions from the local paper -
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2001/09/16/gronlun0.htm

*       My Brother-in-Law is an air traffic controller in Boston
Center.
His co-worker was in contact with one of the planes that hit the WTC.
That air traffic controller is now on extended trama leave.

*       Another co-worker of my Brother-in-Law lost his wife on one of
the planes out of Boston.

*       My daughter's best friend has an older sister.  The older
sister's best friend's father is missing and presumed dead.

*       I work for Verizon.  Our programming staff was located in 140
West Street next to 7 WTC.  The building is damaged but is structually
sound.  One of my closest friends and co-worker emerged from the
subway
at the WTC as the 2nd plane hit.  I didn't know where he was for the
first 12 hours.  Thankfully he's safe.

*       I was sent home at Noon on Tuesday because the nite tour could
not cross any of the closed NYC bridges.  As I left work I could see
the
smoke rising from NYC 20 miles south. I was shaking for at least 5
hours
after I left work.

*       My daughter Karen had reservations for Tuesday night at
Windows
of the World atop the WTC for a wine tasting event.

*       My daughter Susan knew a 23 y.o. woman who is missing and is
presumed dead.

*       My ex-wife's Brother's best friend was on the 103rd floor of
the
WTC and is missing.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm whining or complaining.
I'm not.  Just trying to lend some perspective as a New Yorker.  So
many
people have been directly affected by this tragedy.  I can't imagine
how
they feel.  As for my family, my wife wants to get the hell out of New
York ASAP.

Yesterday I gained some peace by watching migrating hawks here in
Warwick atop Mt. Peter.  During the 1:00 - 2:00 PM hour I saw over
1000
Broad Winged Hawks and 2 Bald Eagles.  I'm heading up there again
shortly.  A little peace is certainly welcome after this awful week.
--- End forwarded message ---