There is currently no certificate assigned to the SMTP server or the SMTP
client.

We have the needed certificate installed but cannot assign it. When we (my
support people) try to assign a certificate to the SMTP *CLIENT* the one we
need to assign does not show up. It's as if a step was missed or
something. The support people are opening a ticket with IBM so we can all
be on the call at the same time.

Did you mean certificates for the SMTP *SERVER* not being in place? Or the
SMTP client? The IBM document the support people are using says SMTP
client.

And . . . both the telnet server and telnet client have a certificate
applied.