When you get your console issue worked out you might want to check out the
following:
https://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Change_IP_Address

On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 9:11 PM Pete Helgren <pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not exactly sure where to start. We have moved offices and so I moved
my 9009-41A today to the new location. Network topology has changed a
bit but my i has always been on it's own VLAN with it's own manually set
address space. This is a development box, so basically it was it's own
island. In the old location it had a gateway that would take it to the
Internet and eventually I'll get that set up again. Right now I am
trying to figure out why I can't get to the box.

So, I did a PWRDWNSYS *immed then moved the box. It was a tower, which
had been slid into a rack with some DIY engineering changes, but now
it's back to being a tower. The reassembly may be the issue so the
startup story is: I got everything moved. Got the network cables
connected (correctly, I think) which is basically all the ports (4) on
the network card plugged into the same switch (as before) and then
plugged all 4 power supplies back into the UPS which was up and
running. While trying to get the front cover on, the IBM i started up.
Don't know if it was due to the power being restored or if I pushed a
button, but it roared to life. So, I just let it IPL (I assumed that is
what it was doing, given the racket those fans make at startup...) All
the lights on the switch indicate an active connection to the network
card. One of the ports on the switch is a run to the wall jack which is
also lit up so I know the laptop at the other end is connected and
active as well. Done.

So, the IBM i sits at 10.0.10.140. Laptop is at 10.0.10.50 Nothing in
between but cabling. Can't ping 10.0.10.140. So, I either have a
cabling issue or, somehow, a network issue. I can't remember if the
system settings automatically start TCP/IP.

Front panel has: 01 N PVM (line 1) and HMC=0 T (on line 2) I
think that is normal. Last item: I was not sure which HMC port I was
plugged into in the back. Also, can't remember what the C1 Ethernet
port is for (or was connected to anything).

I'm gonna retrace my steps when I get back into the office tomorrow but
can you think of something simple I may have missed?

--
Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com