So Dr Franken knows his stuff and I second almost of what he says and other folks on this thread.  I program in multiple languages on IBM i and other platforms, including the cloud, and it comes down to what Joe Pluta often said in these forums: Use the best tool for the job.  You want snappy front end stuff, go with Node and frameworks like Angular or whatever flavor of the day suits you.  But, for backend stability, security and reliability, I find that RPG and Java serve me just fine, thank you.  Performant, mature and stable.

Two additional thoughts:

1)  12 years ago I took a secure programming class and there were two programmers from Costco in the class.  I asked them how they were going to utilize the class in an iSeries environment.  They said they weren't.  That Costco was moving off of iSeries and their job was to make sure the new application was as secure and stable as what they had with the "old green screen apps on the AS/400".  How did that turn out?  You Costco members  know:  Green screen rules the day for fast, secure, stable and efficient access to data at Costco.

2) Buy yourself a copy of "Kill It with Fire: Manage Aging Computer Systems (and Future Proof Modern Ones)" by Marianne Bellotti.  It's a reflection on what she learned in modernization on the mainframe.  GREAT book.  It shows the right way to go about modernization and "Killing it with Fire" is NOT the first step....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
GIAC Cloud Penetration Tester