Hello Jack,

Am 03.04.2023 um 18:02 schrieb Jack Woehr via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The following explanation is what is happening, I think, and I Do Not Speak
for IBM:

- Your request requires IBM to make a specific exception to their
copyright that would need extensive legal documentation to prevent it being
a general surrender of copyright to the public domain.
- The business case to do so is not compelling enough to cause IBM to
spend thousands of dollars working on granting your request, even if it
came to the attention of someone who had the authority to consider such a
request.
- Your request has not even reached such a person and most likely never
will.

Thanks. That sounds comprehensible. I'd have preferred to get this explanation from someone within IBM, though.

Not sure if the cost is real, because people are employed anyways and get the same salary, regardless if they handle my case or not.

a better use of your time might be to write a textbook about COBOL on IBM i for the new generation. There has not been a new textbook in over a decade, and there's a lot of legacy COBOL out there whose maintainers are retiring, retired, or deceased!

I get your point. :-)

But…

- COBOL hasn't changed in decades. Thus I assert the existing textbooks are still valid.
- I barely know enough COBOL to understand just a simple program, and while COBOL is on my list of things to learn, it's definitely not my top priority. :-)

Just saying…

:wq! PoC