While chasing smtp errors can be very difficult I suggest you start with

wrksmtpemm

If that fails to provide any answers and you can reproduce the issue then
I would use communication traces or open a case with IBM

/* This turns pipelining off and just makes the trace data a little more
readable */
ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QIBM_QTMS_PIPELINE_OFF) LEVEL(*SYS)

/* end SMTP servers */
ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*SMTP)
ENDMSF

/* Start TCP Application trace */
TRCTCPAPP APP(*SMTPCLT) SET(*ON)
TRCTCPAPP APP(*MSF) SET(*ON)
TRCTCPAPP APP(*SMTPSVR) SET(*ON)

/* Start packet capture */
TRCCNN SET(*ON) TRCTYPE(*IP) TCPDTA(*TCP () (587) '10.1.1.8' *N ETHLINE)
/* Set your IP address and line name */

/* Start the servers */
STRTCPSVR SERVER(*SMTP)
STRMSF

/* Send a test email that is causing you the problems */

/* End the traces */
TRCTCPAPP APP(*SMTPCLT) SET(*OFF)
TRCTCPAPP APP(*MSF) SET(*OFF)
TRCTCPAPP APP(*SMTPSVR) SET(*OFF)
TRCCNN SET(*OFF) OUTPUT(*STMF) TOSTMF('/home/trace.pcap' *YES)

/* QMGTOOLS Collector - This can provide a lot of information - Check you
have the latest version of QMGTOOLS */
ADDLIBLE QMGTOOLS
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)

QMGTOOLS/MAILCOL SYSSNAP(Y) ZMF_COL(Y) FTP(Y) CASE_NBR(<optional>) +
EMAIL_FTP(<your_email>)

wrklnk '/tmp/collectorscripts/data'

Cheers

Don