On 11/7/22 5:46 AM, Brad Stone wrote:
You know, here's my question about this.

Everyone has smart phones now. What's the difference between getting an
alert for a text or an email? Do people just ignore email alerts?

I take great pride in the fact that I still use a clamshell. It places and receives calls. It sends and receives texts. It can open a hotspot for my Chromebook. And it has a rudimentary browser that's good enough to check my email, check TrekBBS (but not Fountain Pen Network), or do a quick Google search or Wikipedia lookup. And unlike my previous clamshell (which had a patched case when I finally decommisioned it), it does not turn into a pumpkin when I cross the Canadian border (not a very pleasant surprise, my first Canadian vacation!)

It has a built-in email reader, that I've never been able to get to talk to my ISP's email server. So no email alerts.

And it has neither a touch-screen (I despise touch-screens, and chose my Chromebook specifically for its *lack* of a touch-screen), nor the ability to download apps. So no Candy Crush on my cell phone. And I like it that way.

And my father (who *does* have a smartphone) hasn't a clue how to access his email (if he gets any, which isn't often, I give it to him in hardcopy form), and rarely notices texts, either.

But to get back on-topic, at one point, our Wintouch product had calls to a pay-by-usage web service for sending both texts and voice calls. Support for it died for lack of demand.

--
JHHL