Hello,

UNIX systems may have a file /etc/motd with a short text for showing more or less important information to users on logon time. This usually scrolls out of view quickly in a classic „scrolling“ shell environment. An example would be an announcement about an upcoming maintenance downtime.

I‘m wondering if there is a similar function for 5250 sessions on IBM i, or especially it‘s ancestors.

I understand that the message line text shown at signon time is statically defined in the menu panel group and just once more a copyright reminder by IBM.

I guess, to achieve my goal, I might end up coding a full-fledged main menu myself with the necessary routines to read a message of the day from somewhere and show it in the message line.

Any thoughts about this? Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

:wq! PoC