From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Diego E. Kesselman
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2022 1:59 PM
To: Midrange Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Duplicating backup to Amazon S3

This email originated outside of Everence. Do not click links or attachments unless you recognize the sender.

Hi,

We have a solution too, and you could duptap the tapes to an Image Catalog and upload to S3 really fast (I suggest WASABI to avoid EGRESS charges).

And you can upload using a simple CL, but when you need to automate restores that can be complex. That’s the reason to use commercial products like BRMS.

If you want to build a DIY solution you could use a Linux server to upload you Virtual Tape Image Catalog, upload using FTP, compress on the Linux server using ZSTD (really fast) and upload files at the same time with some multipart tuning similar to this:

[default]
region = us-south
output = json
s3 =
max_concurrent_requests = 20
max_queue_size = 10000
multipart_threshold = 256MB
multipart_chunksize = 128MB

Note: You can also use AWS CLI and ZSTD from your IBM, just installing Python3 and ZSTD with YUM or ACS and running on your SSH session (need to adjust the PATH):

Compress:

cd /IMGCLG
zstd *

pip3 install awscli

Once installed I use an alias with BASH, in this case to connect with WASABI (same protocol used on IBM Cloud Object Storage or AWS S3):

alias ws3='aws s3 --endpoint-url=https://s3.us-central-1.wasabisys.com<https://s3.us-central-1.wasabisys.com> --profile wasabi'

And now I can connect to the cloud with easy PASE commands:

ws3 ls s3://mybucket/ <s3://mybucket/>
ws3 cp /IMGCLG/ s3://ibmi01/20221006/ <s3://ibmi01/20221006/> —recursive

Good luck!

Diego E. Kesselman
diegokesselman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:diegokesselman@xxxxxxxxx>