I tested with two programs. On V7R3.

I start debug and call TESTH_CL from the command line.

CRTBNDRPG RPGLE program TESTH

**FREE
Ctl-Opt OPENOPT(*NOINZOFL) OPTION(*NODEBUGIO:*SRCSTMT);
Ctl-Opt DFTACTGRP(*NO) ACTGRP(*CALLER);

*INH7 = *ON;
*INLR = *ON;
RETURN;

CRTBNDCL CLLE program "TESTH_CL"

DCL VAR(&MSGDTALEN) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(5)
DCL VAR(&MSGDTA) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(100)
DCL VAR(&HALTIND) TYPE(*INT) STG(*DEFINED) LEN(2) +
DEFVAR(&MSGDTA 48)

DCL VAR(&MSGID) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(7)

CALL TESTH
MONMSG MSGID(RNX0233) EXEC(DO)

CHGVAR VAR(&MSGDTALEN) VALUE(%SIZE(&MSGDTA))
RCVMSG MSGTYPE(*LAST) RMV(*NO) MSGDTA(&MSGDTA) +
MSGDTALEN(&MSGDTALEN) MSGID(&MSGID)

ENDDO

ENDPGM

Job log:

CALL TESTH_CL
109 - CALL PGM(TESTH)
RPG procedure TESTH returned with halt indicator 7 on.
116 - RCVMSG MSGTYPE(*LAST) RMV(*NO) MSGDTA(&MSGDTA)
MSGDTALEN(&MSGDTALEN) MSGID(&MSGID)
- RETURN /* RETURN due to end of CL program */

Message ID . . . . . . : RNX0233 Severity . . . . . . . : 50
Message type . . . . . : Escape
Date sent . . . . . . : 08/11/22 Time sent . . . . . . : 16:01:33

Message . . . . : RPG procedure TESTH returned with halt indicator 7 on.
Cause . . . . . : The halt indicator 7 in RPG procedure TESTH in program
PGCH/TESTH was set on and a return was requested.
Recovery . . . : Contact the person responsible for program maintenance to
determine the cause of the problem.

Chris Hiebert
--
Winco Foods, LLC