Seems like that's a feature that should be built into RDi or VS Code.

On 7/19/2022 8:43 AM, Charles Wilt wrote:
Alan,

Work smarter not harder... ;)

Consider using the SYSCOLUMNS table to generate a DS
https://code.midrange.com/bcd1e720ee.html

HTH,
Charles

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 8:53 AM Alan Cassidy<cfuture@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Rob!

And to Charles WItt, I and used to make a practice of it every time,
listing out the fields, the entire record format, since that way it
doesn't depend on the fixed record format and you don't have to
recompile for changes to the format. This shop has no identity fields,
and not much SQL going on. Just two of us are sort of well-versed with
it, use it a lot, and another few do basic stuff like input one-record
at a time cursors, not much else.I gave a talk on the glories and how-to
of multi-row fetch, but the shop is stable (longevity) and got such a
late start getting with all the cool stuff that there's all this
technical debt and so they're actually going to migrate off of "RPG".
There goes another one.. But I'm at my twilight years, and the world has
gone crazy, so we'll see what happens...

In this case, this file is has so many fields, and the changes I'm doing
for this project are sorely needed by the team that uses it, I wanted to
get it done fast. They have a performance hit of waiting an average of
literally /*five minutes!*/ (I've clocked it) to get from the menu
option to the first subfile screen when they start! Ouch! And they're
used to it! So I'm in a hurry. But that "UPDATE QTEMP.TABLE2 SET ROW =
:</data structure/>" is something new for me, so I'm glad I asked.

(And I was curious about was there a way to do it that way,

Thanks everybody! Have a great week!

Alan Cassidy