Thanks for your comments Patrick - but I want to clarify one thing.

By "Trouble is that terminal is (to be polite) pretty horrible and not really practical to work with for a group trying to learn the basics of IBM i." I did not mean that 5250 per-se was horrible or that they would have trouble with it. as you say folks with a Unix/Linux background have no issues with a terminal. What i mean was that this specific 5050 implementation is really horrible. For example re-size the screen and it will often duplicate the fields on the RHS. There is no simple mapping of the escape key and other useful functions, no easy way to configure it, etc. etc. The cursor doesn't show up properly and on and on. The OS tn5250 code is what is used but it produces weird results and is just not usable.

A lot of your other suggestions, and those from others, would be so much easier if I was on-site. Maybe I'll have to do a screen share and take control.

Thanks again.