Hi Jim,

Are you referring to the logging that would take place if you added the
"-vvv" to the sftp command?

Or is the logging for FTP?

If sftp, you can add the following line to the ssh_config file
LogLevel=DEBUG3

You can replace DEBUG3 with any of the following to change how much
information is logged. QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1,
DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. The default is INFO. DEBUG and DEBUG1

Note the ssh_config file location will vary depending on if you're using the
sftp command from the rpm package or if you're using the sftp command that
is part of Licensed Program 5733SC1.

For sftp from rpm modify
QOpenSys/etc/ssh/ssh_config

For sftp from Licensed Program 5733SC1 modify
/QOpenSys/QIBM/UserData/SC1/OpenSSH/etc/ssh_config

You can determine which one you're using by entering qp2term then entering

which sftp

if the result is /QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/sftp, you're using the command from rpm
if /QOpenSys/usr/bin/sftp, it's from 5770SS1

The path for the rpm files could vary, but it's probably not very likely.

A couple more comments. The user can override the configuration file or
individual configuration options at run time and I don't believe there is
any way to prevent that. So the above method should work 95% of the time.
And last this also affects the ssh command.

Rob

message: 2
date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:14:50 -0500
from: Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: FTP advanced logging

Based on my research I think the answer is no, however I'll ask anyway. Is
there a switch on the STRTCPSVR *FTP that turns on advanced logging,
specifically for sftp?

I don't find anything in the documentation that says yes aside from the
client entering the debug toggle when the session starts. In my case I
cannot influence if that's done or not, I need to do it at the server level.

Regards:

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect