I have been using this card with an 8286-42A and can confirm it works with 3rd party transceivers; I've been using it with both twinaxial DAC's, as well as 10Gtek multimode transceivers I buy in bulk packages.

In theory you can use copper transceivers (eg https://www.amazon.nl/Transceiver-10GBase-T-Compatible-SFP-10G-T-S-UF-RJ45-10G/dp/B01M8O3MAL). They work, but I don't use them for anything that needs 10G because my cabling ducts also contain AC which makes 10G over copper unreliable.

/y

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 2:30 PM
To: Don Brown <DBrown@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: #EC2S) PCIe3 2-Port 10Gb NIC&ROCE SR/Cu Adapter - support for 3rd Party transceivers

IBMs favorite answer: it depends…..

Are you looking for a 10Gb twinaxial(I’m doubtful, but), RJ45, or…..

Is the switch you are proposing to connect to capable of 10Gb? Does it have a properly configured port? If the answer here is no, then just use the 1Gb Ethernet card (you have one to support the LAN console) and potentially aggregate two port’s to give you a boost of capacity.

I can’t recall a 41A that was able to utilize a 10Gb line even at 5%, so I question the need for it, but your customer will need to decide.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects