Bouncing the instance is part of the process, although it is much more disruptive on IBM i.  Apache on Linux (and presumably in AIX/PASE) has an option called "graceful" which quietly terminates idle processes and restarts them so that current connections aren't disrupted.  So, in an automated LetsEncrypt ACME environment, the cert is renewed before it expires and then apachectl  graceful or systemctl reload httpd (or apache2) is issued depending on distro.  Much more humane...not sure why the option isn't there for HTTP Server for IBM i.  Maybe lack of thread/process support?  Don't know....

Jon I might work on some updated documentation on the new DCM this long weekend before my presentation fades in my memory (GREAT PowerUP conference in NOLA!)

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner