× The internal search function is temporarily non-functional. The current search engine is no longer viable and we are researching alternatives.
As a stop gap measure, we are using Google's custom search engine service.
If you know of an easy to use, open source, search engine ... please contact support@midrange.com.



I'm hoping this is the best mailing list for this inquiry.

I've been having trouble going through the patchwork of information on the
web regarding foreign character sets and exporting the characters to csv,
txt, .xls etc documents
Is there a good article or walk through explaining things from beginning
to end, of exporting and opening?
If you are wondering what I'm working with.
I have an ERP with a database setup with Chinese character set. If I use
a client access setup with the language, and an account setup with the
language, I can see the Chinese characters within the ERP menus/screens.
If I do something like the command DSPPFM on the file, while the command
labels are in Chinese, the individual characters display gibberish. *(Is
there an IBM command or option that will display the correct characters
within the file?)
The report I'm making I create a temp file and change it to CCSID 836. The
file should contain a mix of English and Chinese characters.
CHGPF File(Qtemp/Filename) CCSID(836)

The report previously did an SQL Execute to send the file to the IFS
EXECUTE SQL('SELECT * from Filename') PCFMT(*XLS) +
TOSTMF('path/filename.xls') REPLACE(*YES)
Which I changed to a CPYTOIMPF to use STMFCODPAG(1386) per documentation
of a previous employee
CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(QTEMP/Filename) +
TOSTMF('path/filename.csv') MBROPT(*REPLACE) +
STMFCODPAG(1386) RCDDLM(*CRLF) +
DTAFMT(*DLM) STRDLM(*NONE)

I've also tried some other settings like STMFCCSID(1388) simplified
Chinese

When I open the documents in Excel or text editors, they show just
'gibberish' (except the English characters) and not the Chinese character
set where expected. I have the Chinese language set installed on the
local Windows machine. I've also followed some instructions on importing
into Excel to get the UTF-8 format, which showed no difference. So I'm
unsure if somewhere in my above export process has something wrong with
the formatting, or if the problem is on my Windows Machine in trying to
view the resulting document.

Thanks
Shane Reeves



As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Follow-Ups:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2023 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.