× The internal search function is temporarily non-functional. The current search engine is no longer viable and we are researching alternatives.
As a stop gap measure, we are using Google's custom search engine service.
If you know of an easy to use, open source, search engine ... please contact support@midrange.com.



Shane -

Perhaps I can give you a phone call to discuss your issue before I write a novel about it here.
I have been working with data conversion and CCSID's and basically learning everything the hard way, for going on 15 years...

If you see a call coming from 512-289-0387 that will be me.

Regards,
Steve Landess

Shane Reeves wrote:

I'm hoping this is the best mailing list for this inquiry.

I've been having trouble going through the patchwork of information on the web
regarding foreign character sets and exporting the characters to csv, txt, .xls
etc documents Is there a good article or walk through explaining things from beginning to end,
of exporting and opening?

If you are wondering what I'm working with. I have an ERP with a database setup with Chinese character set.
If I use a client access setup with the language, and an account setup with the language,
I can see the Chinese characters within the ERP menus/screens.
If I do something like the command DSPPFM on the file,
while the command labels are in Chinese, the individual characters display gibberish.
*(Is there an IBM command or option that will display the correct characters within the file?)
The report I'm making I create a temp file and change it to CCSID 836.
The file should contain a mix of English and Chinese characters.

CHGPF File(Qtemp/Filename) CCSID(836)

The report previously did an SQL Execute to send the file to the IFS
EXECUTE SQL('SELECT * from Filename') PCFMT(*XLS) +
TOSTMF('path/filename.xls') REPLACE(*YES)

Which I changed to a CPYTOIMPF to use STMFCODPAG(1386) per documentation of a previous employee
CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(QTEMP/Filename) +
TOSTMF('path/filename.csv') MBROPT(*REPLACE) +
STMFCODPAG(1386) RCDDLM(*CRLF) +
DTAFMT(*DLM) STRDLM(*NONE)

I've also tried some other settings like STMFCCSID(1388) simplified Chinese

When I open the documents in Excel or text editors, they show just 'gibberish'
(except the English characters) and not the Chinese character set where expected.
I have the Chinese language set installed on the local Windows machine.
I've also followed some instructions on importing into Excel to get the UTF-8 format,
which showed no difference. So I'm unsure if somewhere in my above export process
has something wrong with the formatting,
or if the problem is on my Windows Machine in trying to view the resulting document.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2023 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.