Hello Michael,

I am not as informed as other people here, but I can share with you what I
do know.

We have a RHEL 8 LPAR on a Power9 box using IBM i as the hosting partition
(a.k.a., i hosting i). However, we are using an HMC, and to be honest I
wouldn't know how to do it without the HMC. Perhaps others on here can chime
in on whether it can be done without the HMC.

On IBM i you can create the storage (WRKNWSSTG) and server (WRKNWSD)
descriptions, but I'm wondering how you would create the Virtual SCSI
adapters that are presented to the Operating System and appear when viewing
the hardware resources, i.e. WRKHDWRSC TYPE(*STG) and WRKHDWRSC TYPE(*CMN).
To me, that is one of the major roadblocks: creating and linking the
Server/Client Virtual SCSI adapters without an HMC. I'm not saying it's
impossible, I'm just saying I don't know how you would do it without an HMC.

Have you all considered setting up an HMC? There are virtual options as
well, so you could repurpose some x86 hardware you already have and deploy
the virtual HMC image there. In my opinion, this is probably where you
should start. Here are the relevant links for the Virtual HMC Appliance.
Hopefully you're licensed for it already:

5765-VHP 10.1.0 IBM HMC Virtual Appliance Power (runs on ppc
architecture)
5765-VHX 10.1.0 IBM HMC Virtual Appliance x86 (runs on x86
architecture)

https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/E
NUS221-217/index.html
https://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/HMA/09zzd/0/vMF68993.readme.html
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6514027

Sorry that it's not the answer you were looking for, but I hope this adds
some clarity to the overall topic.

------------
Jacob
------------

date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 21:02:36 +0000
from: Michael Quigley <MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Hosting a Linux partition

Thanks Bryan!

The document is linked to off several of IBM's webpages. However, each link
I tried was broken. This should prove very helpful.

Now if I can just get past identifying the virtual SCSI adapter. There's
nothing in the "Hardware contained within package" like the document shows.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way international
www.TheWay.org