On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 6:12 PM Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis
<midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The name 'midrange' has never been used by IBM nor will it ever be. It
is only slang used by many who are already in the know.

I respectfully disagree. The most popular name BY FAR for this
platform for people who are NOT "already in the know" is AS/400.

"We have met the enemy, and it is us!"

Your statement should be "The most popular name for the heritage of this
platform is AS/400."

The name for the server is IBM Power System and the name for the
operating system is IBM i. This has been the name longer than any other
name! Facts are hard to dispute.

As usual, you've completely and utterly missed the point of my post.

I said "most popular". That just means "used by the most people". It
says literally nothing at all about correctness.

If you just go around asking people on the street whether they've
heard of "AS/400", "IBM midrange", "IBM i", etc. (add whatever names
you want to on the list), the most common answer BY FAR will be "I've
never heard of any of them." I have not done this scientifically, but
I am very confident this covers well over 75% of the people you'd
encounter at random. (Honestly, if I had to guess, I'd say more like
90%. I don't think even 75% of all *programmers* are aware of this
platform, never mind the general public.)

But among the people who have heard of at least one of the names, the
most common one will be AS/400, and again, it will not be close.

You were saying that the term "midrange" would only be used by people
already in the know. What I am saying is, the group of people for whom
"IBM i" is the most commonly used term are people which I would
consider "already in the know".

John Y.