If not solved yet - try this (i responded in 2019 to a similar issue)
The *HP4 mfrtypmdl is not the recommended type that i see in the current
ibm doc
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/information-printers-hp
The M404 should be same config as M400, M401
I would suggest *HP5SI plus if snmp driver, add USRDFNOPT(*IBMSHRCNN) if
other
OS's sharing this network printer.
Would also suggest if you can find the Printer PTF Group for V5R4 to apply.

IBMs doc http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1019534
has HP M401 and M402 and as long as the print languages the same it has
always been good to be close. It lists both *HP5SI and *HP4000.

I did not see (or missed) what MFRTYPMDL you used.
The *HP5SI has been very stable. I do prefer SNMP over the older PJL
I do use a WSCST with a slight mod to print closer to the edges.

I've used (several) HP M402N printers which have the same print languages -
most of this is default
CRTDEVPRT DEVD(P6) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) LANATTACH(*IP) +
PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) FONT(011 *NONE) +
FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) +
MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) INACTTMR(*SEC15) LINESPEED(19200) +
WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) STOPBITS(1) TRANSFORM(*YES) +
MFRTYPMDL(*HP5SI) PPRSRC1(*LETTER) PPRSRC2(*NONE) +
ENVELOPE(*NONE) ASCII899(*NO) IMGCFG(*NONE) +
CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('xxx.xx.xx.xxx') WSCST(QGPL/HP5SI) +
USRDFNOPT(*IBMSHRCNN) SYSDRVPGM(*IBMSNMPDRV) +
TEXT('XXX printer HP M402N')
Jim Franz

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 5:24 AM Don Brown via MIDRANGE-L <