Paul,

I may have not fully taken advantage of BRMS here. Please read through this.
My bad, it's been awhile since I had media I was moving around. Back when we had physical media we would send the tapes off to Iron Mountain for safe offsite storage. We still have a location called IRONMTH in WRKLOCBRM. Anyway we had BRMS set up to create a report everyday of tapes created during the night which had to go to Iron Mountain and another report which said which tapes were due to come back from Iron Mountain. Worked great. When you did the WRKOBJBRM it tells you what tapes are in what location. Therefore if you wanted a save from 5 days ago it would tell you that you needed to call Iron Mountain and request this particular tape to do that restore.
This involved setting up "Move" policies. Using commands like MOVMEDBRM to tell BRMS that you either received, or sent off, the tapes to Iron Mountain. Some of all this is slipping my memory.
We did also have this set up for one site which was offsite and had no operator to handle physical tapes. We would save to virtual tape and ftp the virtual tape image catalog entries to a local system and DUPMEDBRM them to physical tapes and then send those off to Iron Mountain. All of this was tracked through BRMS and WRKOBJBRM never lost track of the saved objects.

Anyway, I wonder if there's a way to incorporate this process for your save files? I would consider opening a ticket with IBM.

I think there's a way to save simultaneously to media and save files.

<highlight>
This way when you do a WRKOBJBRM it should be able to tell you the BRMS generated save file name you need to retrieve from your NAS when you want to restore the object.
</highlight>
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/brms-save-files

Pondering this solution, and a sore back, had me waking up before 6am on New Years Eve. We have this off from work this year.