As an update (somewhat):

I reset the HMC password which solved the authentication error.Not sure why that was necessary, but, the system and lpars have reappeared.  The issue with MH01857 "missing" is still a bit of a mystery.  Here is a screen shot of the output of lshmc -V :

https://www.petesworkshop.com/images/MH01857.jpg

As you can see, MH01857 is applied so I am not sure why the upgrade is complaining.  Any ideas?

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com