From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Steinmetz, Paul via MIDRANGE-L
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2021 10:34 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HMC V9 vs V10, Was: Bringing IBM i up to the "latest" OS patches

________________________________
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the PENCOR network. Do not click on any links or open attachments unless the sender is known, and the content is verified as safe.
________________________________

Below two links are included in my HMC update instructions.
Below are my notes/instructions from last upgrade

https://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/server/hmc/updates/
https://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/server/hmc/fixes/

HMC firmware updates
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6357985
Download from fix central HMC Firmware to either PC or shared drive.
SMT_P8_320.bin
P8DTU20200610_IBM_7063CR1_sign.pnor
Then log into BMC,
Maintenance
BMC update, and you can browse to where ever this was downloaded.
PNOR update, and you can browse to where ever this was downloaded.
Follow the update wizard, fairly quick.

HMC code updates.
Log into HMC,
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/688025
HMC Management
Reboot HMC if not done for a while.
Backup Management Console data and Save Upgrade data before each, fix, update, etc Console Management Update the internal code of the management console Updates and/or fixes can be downloaded directly from IBM site, only changing the remote directory, either updates or fixes.
Updates are a sub release update.
Fixes are MH PTFs.
Each download / install can be 1 to 2 hours Reboot HMC after each fix/update, etc

Remote Server: public.dhe.ibm.com
User ID: anonymous
Password: [your email address]
Remote directory: /software/server/hmc/updates or fixes

Updates
Fixes

Save Upgrade Data to Pencor05 IFS instead of USB Either via HMC command line or HMC GUI https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/9009-42G/p9edm/saveupgdata.html
GUI
Remote Server

FTP
Remote Server IP of IBM I LPAR
User Pauls
Password
Remote Directory /HMC

HMC code update to new version,
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6371902
downloaded from a different site using getupgiles using a putty session on the HMC.
This download can take 2 hours, be patient.

hscroot@hmcwho:~> getupgfiles -h public.dhe.ibm.com -u anonymous --passwd anonymous -d /software/server/hmc/network/v950/ppc
Fetching network installation images../
Using a 2nd putty session, you can monitor the download with while true; do ls -l /dump/efix ; sleep 30; done total 0

Set the HMC to do the next reboot from the special location on the hard drive where the downloaded V9 files are stored by typing the following command:
chhmc -c altdiskboot -s enable --mode upgrade

Reboot the HMC

Upgrade 9009-42A firmware to same release or new release System saves should be done on all LPARs Check firmware compatibility chart/link https://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/main/transform?xml=https://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/server/firmware/sfw_fixSupportedCombos.xml&title=Supported+Combinations

All LPARs must be shutdown if pervasive
Log into HMC,
HMC Management
Reboot HMC if not done for while.
All systems
Actions
Updates
Change license Internal code to same release/new release.
Follow the wizard, firmware will be download, installed, applied all via the wizard.
FSP, flexible service processor will be rebooted.
Allow 45 minutes minimum for entire process.

Paul