Of course, that LF/PF landmine points out a failure in the authority of the PF...  making all production files READ ONLY for programmers should slow things down!

--Paul E Musselman

.

-----Original Message-----
From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Sent: Oct 21, 2021 12:08 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Logical files not in same library as physical files

And that's one of the landmines I was referring to in an earlier post.
Recovery Disaster....

My perennial favorite though is the developer that wanted access to
production data without copying it, so they create a logical in the
development library attached to the production file. Achieves the primary
goal. Then about 2 weeks later they create a program to manipulate that
data in some way thinking they were using test data, compiling into the
developer library, except the compiler picks up the logical pointed at
production. The developer tests the program which by mistake
deletes/updates lots and lots of records, in production. BAM landmine
going off.

Moral of the story is just don't do it......

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect