I agree with Jim O's comments. There are things, and DNS and DHCP are two of them that are extremely critical to getting a data center going again. If you've been lucky enough to never hear the most terrifying sound in a data center 'the Sound of Silence' (no not Simon and Garfunkel!) then you might not see how much of a deterrent it is to have to get your VM environment running just to get those key services running.

I HAVE been in this situation and it's not pretty and one was just this past month. I was in another DC when an loud noise came from the UPS, then silence, then one guy in the corner said loudly what we were all thinking: "****!" (Pick your own FLW)

I also know of a global company who's primary data center infrastucture failed on the friday of a holiday weekend. By Tuesday the primary center was back on line but at the backup site the only thing they managed to get going in 4 days was DNS. I don't want to have to get 4 days in to have DNS!

- DrF