and lastly, how long will it take to xmit that 650GB of savsys21 to your recovery site?

On 9/30/2021 5:51 AM, Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis wrote:
My main question is why limit yourself to that DD Device?

With the cost of a couple LTO tapes it would seem that DUPTAP to a physical LTO has many advantages.

a) Cost. The tapes are cheap and you can make 2 (they are small!) or 3 or 5...

b) Space. They are small and you can store one in several places and easily move them.

c) Energy. Sitting on a shelf an LTO tape uses about as little energy as possible, maybe even zero. It can sit there a long time at zero. The DD Device is going to be sucking KW and pouring out heat the whole time.

d) KNOWLEDGE. If you 'make the call' "I need to recover a system from LTO4 to hardware POWER7 or older. HELP!" you will get many to help. If you call out "I Need to restore from DD to a POWER7 or older." You will find vastly less help.

e) KNOWLEDGE (2).  Who's going to remember the name of that tape in the DD Long Term?

I don't like it myself.
    - L