The recover report is not essential.

So long as you have the tape you can follow instructions in the Backup/Recovery guide to rebuild a system.

You do need to know the QSECOFR password.

Jerry

On 9/30/2021 6:04 AM, Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis wrote:
Bet you do.

Remember you are recovering the entire system. Someone needs to have that report handy and if it's been a long time that's another thing to keep. And where DO you keep it? With the tape of course. Which is in a VTL so do you stuff it behind the front cover?

And someone cleaning up the VTL at some point can easily delete the tape because it hasn't been used in years and since you can't put comments on tapes in a VTL you gotta remember somehow.

Contrast with LTO tape. You can box it, label it, write on the label and the box and put it in the vault. Or on a shelf. Or both. Or three places.

I am thinking of the many shops i work with and turnover and location changes and new VTLs and and and.  I think the tape has a better chance sitting ther with labels and the recovery report.

IN any case, Knowledge is needed for sure.