Hello Don,

Am 27.05.2021 um 00:55 schrieb Don Brown via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I am fairly confident none of the 525x models supported 132 wide.

Same here, but a proof (from someone actually having used them) would be nice.

Thank you for the link - it is interesting that IBM recommends the desk
size but NOT the strength required as these beasts were HEAVY.

My guess is that back in those days, desks were not made according to Φkea standards, out of strawberry timber. No matter what size they were.

A friend of mine had a number of 5251's in his garage.

He successfully converted one to an aquarium.

I've also heard of other… abuse of older technical components. :-)

It's always the same. Once, it's new and shiny. Then it's supplanted by something newer and more shiny. The old stuff goes to the scrap or sometimes to collectors, or will be put in stock. Nobody wants these things for a long time. And 20 years later, some people are starting to be interested in it, creating demand for a finite pool of existing specimen. Most of which are probably forgotten in some basement catacombs. Or already scrapped.

If you unlocked the cabinet using the screws at the bottom of each side,
the two halves, which were hinged would open up allowing service through
the top.

Yap, I've seen that on the photos where the keyboard-guy was exploring it.

It was very good!

:-)

Another story, I remember my boss using twinax as a tow rope. Yep and it
worked perfectly, towed his wife's car from where it broke down to his home. Another one of the many uses for twinax!!!

Okay, I now know of two: Tow rope, and electrically connecting twinax terminals over some distance to a controller. I'm looking forward to more examples towards my personal perception of a number more closely resembling *many* (uses). ;-)

:wq! PoC