Hello James,

Am 13.04.2021 um 02:39 schrieb James H. H. Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

One that *will* work for a SAVSYS on this box?

I missed on which kind of machine you want to use the tapes.

Since QIC cartridges are no longer manufactured, and the gum components in the cartridges age and fail (not necessarily dependent on actual usage), I've removed these drives from multiple machines I had and have, substituting them with other (old) tape technology drives where cartridge stock is still plentiful to obtain. With good results.

https://try-as400.pocnet.net/wiki/Tape_Drives_on_old_AS/400

For slow machines like my 150's, I'm using DDS2 and DDS3-DAT drives, depending on count and speed of the accompanied disk drives. One with three 6602 5400 RPM is better off with DDS2, one with four 6717 15k drives can reasonably sustain streaming a DDS3 drive. Anything faster will experience a lot of drive stop-start-cycles because the system can't deliver data fast enough to have a continuous stream of data to be written.

DDS's are working out of the box. Just make sure the build-in head-cleaner (sometimes a tiny plastic foam roll) hasn't degraded to sticky mud. If yes, I always removed the roll before it could contaminate the spinning head drum and bring a catastrophic end to the tape itself, and the drive. As I found out, there's no bad coming from that removal.

The same goes with a S20 I had: Good experience with a DLTVS 80. My 800 has a HP LTO1.

I'm always using INZTAP DENSITY(*DEVTYPE), which always works.

Maybe this helps?

:wq! PoC