So text files in Windows are not necessarily tagged as being any of
these, right?

Correct. Text files in Windows and most other systems are not
explicitly tagged at all. They are just streams of bytes like anything
else.

But when I saved somethings as UTF-8 using TextPad, it still got
uploaded as 437 - same with UTF-16 - and I do not see any BOMs -
byte-order-markers, which I thought was required in UTF-16, optional in
UTF-8. Guess I was mistaken.

BOMs are always optional. It is *common* to use BOMs with UTF-16,
because byte order makes a difference for UTF-16.

This is a lot of words to say, we probably aren't going to get a simple
solution where we don't tell the transfer process what we need.

In general, that's correct. Different applications (and sometimes
whole systems, like IBM i) try to provide and make use of encoding
metadata, but it's hit or miss, especially if you are transferring
between different systems.

John Y.