The only thought that comes to mind would be to set the timer lower but use a message queue instead of ending or suspending the job. Then a program reads that queue and saves the data. What I can't recall is if the messages repeat if the user still does nothing or if you get only one.

But here is what we used to do. Again use the message queue because that is the key to flexibility. It all started 'when the paint was white' because *I* got tired of signing back on to a session I had 'neglected' for a while during the day. Back then I was often in SEU so...

So I wrote a program to read that queue. We settled on QINACTMON for the name. First thing it does is check the time. We determined that our main business hours were 7A to 6P and so during those hours the inactivity timer was set rather high. When the clock ticked past 6 the program changed the timeout down to 1 hour. After 8PM when nightly batch began we lowered it more to 15 min. Just before the backup I think we went even lower and after the backup raised it again to 1 hour and up to the longest duration at 7AM. The program easily handles this by using a time out the rcvmsg and checking the clock. Oh how nice a case statement would have been 30 years ago. :-) Additionally (because *I* wrote the program) it never disconnected or ended any of MY sessions in my office. I didn't use the app and wouldn't have any locks. After 6PM though my sessions were also fair game.

Point here though is you don't need ONE inactivity time to fit all, leverage a simple program to use different duration for different parts of the day.

FURTHER you can copbine QDSCJOBITV with this logic. For example we disconnect users HR rather rapidly but let the QDSCJOBITV counter remain high during the day. Lower this at night as well.

- DrF