Thomas,

If in fact your ISP has blocked port 21, I would suggest try connecting to
another public FTP server over plain FTP to see if it also fails. My
recommended steps:

1. Try connecting to public.dhe.ibm.com using anonymous. If it fails, it is
most likely your ISP. If it works, the problem most likely lies in your VPN
connection.
The following steps must be performed with your VPN adapter turned on.
(Verify that it is functioning by accessing other intranet resources).
2. Perform a tracert (on FQDN and IP Address) to see if your packets are
being properly routed through your VPN adapter. If you see them going out to
the world, instead of staying within the VPN network, it's more than likely
a routing issue.
3. Perform an Nmap quick scan against the AS/400 FQDN. See if port 21 comes
back as open. If the scan can't resolve the name, probably DNS related.
3. Perform an Nmap quick scan against the IP address of your AS/400. See if
21 comes back as open. If port 21 shows as closed, then it is more than
likely a VPN access rule change that your network/firewall administrators
may have made in error on your profile.
4. Verify that no FTP login restrictions exist for your user profile. In
web-based Navigator, search for "Application Administration". Go to TCP/IP
Utilities for iSeries > File Transfer Protocol > FTP Server > Logon Server >
(Context Menu) Customize. This is highly unlikely, but I did this to once
and forgot about it.

Jacob Banda

date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 10:52:49 -0600
from: Thomas Garvey <tgarvey@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Is this happening to you?

I THINK I have an answer.

The Norton anti-virus that was free with our Comcast provider expired and
Xfinity replaced it with software that runs on my router/gateway. It's
called Xfinity Advanced Security.
It will not allow use of ftp. Supposedly you can temporarily allow use of
certain ports but I can't get it to work. I think I have to figure out how
to disable it and buy Norton again.

I will update when I resolve, if anyone else has this issue.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey