I echo pretty much exactly what Evan says here. One thing I'll highlight is that if you do stick with IBM i hosting you absolutely want to use a minimum of two NWSDs per client LPAR. One for disk and one for optical and tape. The reason is that you can vary off the one used for optical and tape to reconfigure if needed without taking down the client LPAR. If all three share one NWSD then you're stuck.

Note too that Evan mentioned separate ASPs but that gets prohibitively expensive el-quicko using internal disks because you need a lotta slots for disks to pull that off.

IBM i is a wonderful O/S indeed but for true hosting SAN storage with VIOS is the bee's knees. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned consuming IBM i cores for hosting costs money and that's also true. It was mentioned that your hosting solution isn't redundant with an IBM i host while it can, and should, be so with VIOS.

SAN Storage also brings flash copy capability, very useful. It can be expanded very simply and on the fly. You can even move SAN to SAN on the fly. You can use different tiers of disks with SAN as well.

- Dr F.