From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 8:44 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Odd pool assignments

'Differing characteristics' is how I always looked at it. FOr example Interactive tasks typically sat Idle a fair bit. When the user got back to it, a big pause while it gets paged back in is bad. Batch jobs on the other hand had a tendency to use available memory and if in the same pool, elbow the interactive jobs out.

Today it's often SQL, loves to use what's available and that is logical.
But whether it's Java, SQL, web servers, interactive jobs. There are clearly jobs that shouldn't be in the same pool. But it needs to be done by someone who understands with workloads and their characteristics.

- L